Skincare 101 - How to Properly Care for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin is a very common skin condition that affects millions of people around the globe. Typically sensitive skin reacts to certain ingredients, but it can also be exacerbated by stress, pollution, hormonal changes, anxiety, environmental, or lifestyle triggers. Sensitive skin cannot really be defined, but some skin reactions are common among people with sensitive skin. When you have sensitive skin, your skincare routine is very important. Learn everything you need to know about this skin condition.
But what is sensitive skin?
While sensitive skin is many times categorized as a skin type, it is a skin condition. Any skin type can be sensitive, you can have oily or combination skin, and your skin can still be sensitive. Your skin is sensitive when it reacts to an ingredient or product that is in contact with the skin. The products that can cause sensitive skin are not only skincare and makeup products, hair care products (shampoo and conditioner), fabric softeners, or household products can also trigger a reaction. When your skin gets sensitivity to these products, it translates into skin allergies, irritation, rashes, redness, rosacea, etc. Persons with a tendency to have sensitive skin must be extra careful with the products used on the skin and hair to avoid triggering extreme skin reactions.
Why do certain factors affect the skin? The top layer of the skin has nerves, and if those nerves become irritated, they will cause several issues on the skin. Sometimes, skin sensitivity is triggered because your skin barrier is already damaged, and certain products/ingredients will probably trigger a reaction. A sign that your skin barrier is compromised is if you have extremely dry skin.
What Can Cause Skin Sensitivity?
Several factors can cause your skin to react and become sensitive. These factors include exposure to harsh weather (hot and cold), hormonal changes, stress and lack of sleep, air pollution, dry skin, etc.
How do I know I have sensitive skin?
There are different ways skin shows sensitivity:
- Rosacea: What is rosacea? Rosacea is an inflammatory skin condition. It will show on your skin as redness and small bumps that can sometimes be mistaken as acne. This condition will mostly affect the face and is more common on people with fair skin tones.
- Sting & burn sensation on the skin: Have you noticed that your skin burns and stings when you apply some products to your face? Some ingredients will make your skin more prone to reactions. You can learn about ingredients that can cause skin reactions more easily and avoid them. If your skin is sensitive, the best thing you can do is choose skincare products with fewer ingredients that are gentle on the skin.
- Dry skin: Extremely dry skin is also a sign of sensitive skin. If your skin is too dry or is somehow injured, your skin barrier is compromised, and you will be more likely to react to certain ingredients.
Although these are signs of sensitive skin, it’s always recommended to consult with your dermatologist for a proper diagnosis. Your dermatologist can help you to understand if you have sensitive skin or if there is any other reason behind your skin reactions.
Can men also have sensitive skin?
Absolutely! Although we hear more often women complaining about sensitive skin, men also suffer from this condition that translates into red, flaky, and sore skin. One of the triggers that affect men to have sensitive skin is shaving. The razor may cause skin irritation, and some ingredients in the shaving foam tend to irritate the skin. Choose gel shaving products instead of foam ones, as they are more moisturizing.
Devices, tools, and technologies safe for sensitive skin
It is important to be careful with what you apply to your sensitive skin, including skincare products, beauty devices, tools, and technologies that you use. If you have sensitive skin and you are looking to add beauty skincare devices to your skincare routine, we have a few recommendations for you that are safe for sensitive skin.
- Facial Cleansing Brushes: Facial cleansing brushes typically use rotation, oscillation, or sonic vibration to remove dirt and impurities from pores. While most skin types do very well and benefit from using a good facial cleansing brush, it’s a bit different for persons with sensitive skin. Having that in mind, TOUCHBeauty developed a few cleansing solutions for those who suffer from sensitive skin. Sonic cleansing brushes are typically ideal for sensitive skin as they release sonic vibrations that are gentle on the skin while giving a soothing massage. Oscillation brushes are also suitable for sensitive skin. However, it’s best to avoid rotating cleansing brushes if you have sensitive skin.
- Sonic Facial Cleanser: TOUCHBeauty’s sonic facial cleansing brush is suitable for sensitive skin. The silicone sonic cleansing brushuses soft silicone touch-points and sonic vibration massage waves to boost blood circulation and remove impurities from the skin. This device is super easy to clean, and you don’t need to replace brush attachments.
- The other option for sensitive skin is the dual-mode oscillation cleansing brush. This device utilizes gentle oscillation motions to aid the bristles to clear the skin. The bristles are soft and do not hurt the skin, making this device perfect for those with sensitive skin.
To suit different skin sensitivities, the intensity level of the sonic vibrations can be adjusted. If you feel the highest intensity level is too strong for your skin, you can reduce it to a more gentle setting. The same goes for the oscillation brush. It’s all about finding your skin’s happy place.
- Light Therapy Technology: Light therapy is gentle on the skin and these devices are perfect for persons with sensitive skin. The best light wavelength for sensitivity is 415nm blue light therapy. The blue light is anti-inflammatory and can help to calm down rashes. You will find that light therapy treatments are very soothing and calming. TOUCHBeauty has several light therapy devices with different wavelengths to treat different skin concerns.
How to care for sensitive skin?
If you have sensitive skin, it’s important to be conscious of the products you apply to your skin.
- Check your skincare products ingredients, and discard the ones that are associated with triggering sensitive skin;
- Choose to sleep in gentle silky sheets, they are super soft and gentle for your skin (and for your hair as well);
- Don’t use harsh exfoliants on your skin;
- Avoid sun exposure and protect your skin and scalp with SPF +50;
- Use devices with gentle technology to improve your skin condition;
- Deeply moisturize your skin;
- Avoid using products for the first time on your face. Perform a patch test first on a small area before you go for the whole face. We suggest for you to do it 2 times and wait for 24h.You can see if your skin reacts to it.
- Use a gentle facial cleansing brush and light therapy to clear and soothe your skin;
- If you already have a bad skin reaction, calm your skin with soothing products, if your skin reaction is extreme, consult with your dermatologist;
- Avoid sun exposure and use sunscreen to protect your skin every time you leave home, even if it’s raining outside.
Overall, the most important advice we can give is for you to be extremely gentle with your skin.